Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The IEP and other stuff..

So yesterday we had the IEP meeting at Eli's school. They seemed surprised that my husband would want to come and be involved in that process. In all honesty, the meeting went very well. The teacher seemed to anticipate anything I might have asked for and wrote it into the goals already. Everyone agreed that he needed at least another year with his current teacher with the goal of moving him into short periods of inclusion classes throughout the next school year. He is still a pre-k kid so that works ok for me. I am hoping he will make it to kindergarden on time, but probably he won't make it to a regular classroom for a while yet. That's ok. I want to allow him to have the time to learn and grow that he needs. I'm just happy that his current school seems to agree with that.

The only problem with that is, that I am now very hesitant to move to another county since he is OK where he is. When you move you face uncertainty of placement and services all over again. We already have to pursue a florida diagnosis, which sort of irritates me. Why waste time and money (thankfully not ours) to get a diagnosis that he already has? I'll pursue it anyway since I can get it done for no money, but it just bugs me to have to go through that process again.

Yesterday we also had Hippotherapy again. Unfortunately, Eli fell asleep in the car on the way, which took extra time because it was rush hour. As we were driving, I could see plumes of smoke and clouds from some of the current massive brush fires in Bradford County, not far from where we live. It had an eerie sort of beauty to it, but it made me very afraid too. There are currently 210 fires in Florida, most of which are small, but some are quite large. Of course, north of us in GA they are dealing with even larger wildfires that have destroyed some 100,000 acres of land.

But I digress...I was going to say when we got to therapy, I woke Eli up and he was a major grump! Must take after me! I, of course, couldn't give him coffee and a good book so he could center himself, so he just fussed and cried for a while. His therapist let Sophie have a short ride, which was pretty cool. I have to remember to have a camera so if that ever happens again I get a picture! Anyway, Eli managed to get it together and got a half an hour of horse time after all that and did pretty well. Today he had regular OT and cut through a whole paper by himself with scissors! I am proud that he has learned to do that. I thought he didn't know how because he so far won't do it with me.

In other news, Eli continues to remove his diaper constantly, and training is still not really happening. It's very frustrating, honestly. I hope we get some progress on that front soon.
Also, Sophie has officially weaned off the breast. I am a little sad today, but I wanted it to happen so I'm also relieved that it finally has. She hasn't nursed since Friday. She asked to today but I offered her milk instead and she was just as happy to take that. Now I have to figure out how to get her to go to sleep without nursing!!

We also joined a new playgroup today. I hope I get to meet these folks on Thursday morning. :D

No comments: