Sunday, June 3, 2007

More RDI Success

Eli is doing so so well with the exercises that we've been sent home with! People other than us are already noticing positive changes in his relational style and I myself am noticing lots of great changes.
I took notes all week when we did the exercises, but rather than re-write them here, I will just summarize that each day we are making small progress and seeing nice changes. Eli actively seeks us out for play, is starting to look at us for information, and is talking a lot more.
He loves some of the "games" and some of them are just for establishing regular patterns and we're making progress on that, too. He continues to adore the marble drop game with his father, and looks at him a lot during it. He loves to pour water with me, but doesn't need to look at me, though our consultant noted that he does look for my action. He also loves to help "wipe" when I spritz, but he desparately wants to spritz, too. But part of the exercise is establishing the framework and NOT changing the pattern to suit him..we are the parent/coach, and we set the pattern.
I'm still really excited by how well he is doing, and it's very satisfying for all of us that he wants to be a part of our family and looks to play with us. I'm hoping in time he'll be better with his sister too.
Another cool thing we noticed..we were at friends' house in Gainesville who have a 7 yr old daughter who enjoys playing with the kids. Eli was trying to figure out how to use a hula hoop, so June came over and took the hoop from him and showed him how to do it. Eli watched her demonstrate and then tried it himself. This is HUGE..he would in the past either get upset that someone took the toy, or just wander away to do something else. This time he stayed and watched her and then tried it! I was so proud!!
We have a lot of work to do with the RDI, but it's very heartening to see that though the marathon has begun, the progress has also begun and it feels like we're really getting our boy back :D

No comments: